Saturday 3 February 2018

Creating Sony FDR-X3000 Timelapse in Linux



The Sony FDR-X3000 only produces a series of images in a folder, in order to create a timelapse video these images need to be processed by other means. In my case I exported them from the camera onto my Linux Mint 18 desktop.

Typical Sony FDR-X3000 settings-
  • Images 4K
  • Frame Interval 2secs
  • Image count 600 frames
Linux Setup
  • Download this BASH script 3000.sh
  • Copy/Move into your root/bin folder
  • Make 3000.sh executable, open terminal as ROOT type chmod +x 3000.sh
Highly likely you need to install the following
  • sudo apt install mencoder
  • sudo apt install imagemagick-6.q16
Running 3000.sh
  • open terminal where images are stored
  • type 3000.sh
  • on error permission denied type sudo 3000.sh 
  • just follow the prompts that come up on the screen
Dazzne P2
This was my 1st  action camera which has no stabilization therefore I no longer use this to create videos.  Even though it produces images 4032 x 3024 (4 x 3 ratio: 12.2MP) my script has an 2 options to resize by cropping some of the top and the bottom produce 720p and 1080p compatible video.

Note: you cannot set limits on this so just start it in timed images mode, then turn off maybe 45mins later.



I've actually used the script to create a timelapse from images taken by my Huawei P8 Lite, so I guess it can be used by any device that creates sequential named images.



About the script. There is probably a much more efficient way to create this as I'm not too good at writing these types of code. Feel free to view, modify, or complete rewrite it as you see fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

USO Fresh Ride Eastbourne

Another enjoyable ride, I'm well used to going down this route. There are some places where the road doesn't allow a car and a cyc...